Friday, December 14, 2012

The First Day of Christmas: The Rules of Attraction

It's great to be back in the saddle.  I had so much fun doing 31 Days of Horror and when it came to an end I often found myself wondering what I could do next.  I really didn't want to have to wait a whole year and I wanted to do something different than the last blog but using the same formula.  Then someone suggested doing a blog with a Christmas theme. 

At first the thought of watching several Christmas movies over an extended period of time sounded utterly unappealing.  I originally planned to pursue a timeline of 25 days but felt that I would most likely be jeopardizing my sanity (and my wife's).  As much I love being with my friends and family and certainly enjoy the traditions we've made over the years, there's only so much Christmas I can take.  The overplayed music, stress, crowded malls, streets and department stores, and of course low bank accounts, you can have them all. 

I was out shopping one weekend and the song "12 Days of Christmas" came on inside the store.  Suddenly, it occurred to me that I could in fact handle 12 days of watching Christmas movies and I didn't have to just watch all the traditional favorites!  There's several films that revolve around Christmas but are often overlooked because its subject matter may be completely unrelated to the holiday season.  That being said some of my entries will feature titles that may be surprising to see over the next week and half. 





"When a movie is described by some critics as morally repellent and by others as innovative and brilliant, it means at the very least that it's controversial and touching a nerve in the collective consciousness." - Emanuel Levy, emanuellevy.com




The Rules of Attraction was directed by Roger Avary and is based on the novel with the same name written by Bret Easton Ellis (American Psycho).  It follows the life of three students at a fictional college located in New Hampshire.  Sean Bateman (younger brother of Patrick Bateman, for you American Psycho fans out there) is a drug dealer, Lauren Hynde is a virgin, and Paul Denton is gay.  Collectively these characters find themselves in a love triangle with one another and much drama and catastrophe ensues.

The director's cinematic vision is truly fascinating and inspiring.  In fact, in response upon the author's viewing, Ellis stated that Avary is the only director who has fully captured the sensibility and recreation of the world his books take place in.  Avary's style isn't for everyone though, which is why the film received mixed reviews.  However, James van der Beek's performance playing the role Sean Bateman was greatly praised by many critics.





ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 44%

"Wait a second, this isn't a Christmas movie?!"

Many people will disagree with me about this being a Christmas movie. However, it does in fact begin and end with a Christmas party.  It also includes my favorite rendition of "Carol of the Bells," which also happens to be my favorite Christmas song.  I promise that I'll get to the classics, I just need to ease my way into them.  I can't blow my holiday load all at once!

The Rules of Attraction has been one of my favorite movies for the past 8 years.  It was suggested to me in high school when I started paying more attention to independent films.  When I first saw it I felt uncomfortable, I laughed, it shocked me and it visually blew my mind.  Not to mention it features a great soundtrack as well.  I immediately bought it on DVD and it became a movie that I showed to all my friends and continue to today.  I hope you will find as much enjoyment in this film as I have!

-Colby.


No comments:

Post a Comment