Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Ninth Day of Christmas: Bad Santa


"Bad Santa is crude, disgusting, violent, graphic,  and has a lot of unsuitable content that I wouldn't recommend for a family out on Christmas, but it's a great piece of filmmaking." - Felix Vasquez Jr.


Every Christmas, con man/thief Willy T. Stokes and his friend Marcus meet up to conduct their annual special scam.  While employed as the the local shopping mall's Santa and his little helper, the two plot to rob the establishment of its holiday cash flow.  Willy is an alcoholic, vulgar, foul-mouthed asshole who cannot stand being around kids.  After a few encounters involving drunkenness on the clock and plus sized women, the mall's manager insists he get his act together.  Stokes must keep his position or his termination could foil the plan.

Over the past few years it has become a tradition to play a Bad Santa drinking game at some point throughout the holiday season.  It all started when I was living in Nebraska and we got hit with a terrible blizzard.  My friend Tom took a snow day to spend time with his girlfriend.  Their plan was to drink whiskey cider and watch movies all day, which sounded perfect to me. 

Around this time The Hangover had just been released and I decided to go buy it after work.   While I was out making my purchase, all I could think about was how great the whiskey cider sounded.  The aromas and flavors filled with cinnamon and fruit accompanied with a warm, soothing bite; who doesn't want to experience that.  I was sold and decided to get the ingredients to make it.

I was only able to find a gallon of cider and found a great deal on a handle of whiskey.  This led to inviting others to partake in my spontaneous event.  My wife and good friend, Slydick, joined me in drinking what would soon become one the greatest seasonal cocktails to accompany Holiday cinema.  As The Hangover is not a Christmas movie, the idea to replace it with Bad Santa came the following year.

Each year I create a different set of rules to play this drinking game (mainly because I forget them).  I have decided to make a documentation of the list this time and post it on here.  If you drink, I highly encourage you to attempt to play this game.  There are milder versions I have created but for the most part it's pretty rough.  I definitely recommend doing this on a night you don't have to work the next day. Enjoy!

BAD SANTA DRINKING GAME
Take a drink every time...
1. Santa drinks.
2. Santa says the F word (I used to do whenever he cusses, but I could never finish the movie.)
3. Santa has a sexual encounter.
4. Santa yells.
5. Thurman Murman talks about sandwiches.

GOLDEN RULE
Each scene that John Ritter graces us with his presence, raise your glass for a toast as this was the last movie he made before he passed. 





ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 77%

Bad Santa received mostly positive reviews.  The majority were related to Billy Bob Thornton's flawless performance. The negative comments that I read about the film were generally about it being too vulgar for a Christmas movie.  Hmmm... they must have been fooled by the title?

- Colby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment