Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Sixth Day of Christmas: Batman Returns


"Burton continues to capture his essence of the Batman legend and more importantly his audiences imagination." - Empire Magazine 

Batman Returns is my favorite installment of the Batman Anthology, and just happens to take place in Gotham around Christmas time. The original Burton film will always have a lot of sentimental value for me personally, as it was the first movie my parents took me to in the theater. However, I also have another "first experience" with this one.

When I was 5 years old I was obsessed with Batman. I had the action figures, bedding, batmobile toy, and of course underwear. Batman Returns being the most anticipated movie of the summer in 1992, my dad took me and my cousins to see it opening weekend. I wore a Batman hat, a shirt, and even sandals; I couldn't wait to finally see it.

Unfortunately, at that age I had a horrible fear of blood. It wasn't that it made me queasy or anything like that, it simply just scared me and since Batman Returns is a lot more violent than its predecessor, certain scenes were difficult for me to handle at such a young age. So about halfway through my dad asked me if I wanted to leave and I said yes.

As I got older and over came my fear of blood I began to look at Batman Returns in a completely different light. To this day I feel like this is the darkest Batman movie that has ever been made. I have always loved that about Tim Burton's style; I had to see Batman Begins twice before I could pull myself out of the twisted world of Gotham.




ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 78%

Batman Returns generally received positive reviews, most of which praised the time spent focusing on character development of the villains instead of the script revolving around the protagonist. Up until Christopher Nolan created the epic trilogy that future generations will continue to love, it was said by many critics that this film was the last enjoyable Batman. I couldn't agree more but I am biased as a Burton fan. Not to mention the only thing to appreciate about Batman Forever is Jim Carrey. We won't talk about Batman & Robin.

- Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment