Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Third Day of Christmas: Die Hard

A couple weeks ago one of my friends posted two of her favorite Christmas movies on Facebook and Die Hard was one of them.  I completely forgot that the entire movie takes place on the night before Christmas.  When I saw this post it inspired me to not only do this blog but to take on unusual selections you wouldn't normally see on a holiday movie list.  So I found it only to be appropriate to use this title as well as give her credit.




"The scenes move with such relentless energy and smashing special-effects extravagance that Die Hard turns out to be everything action-genre fans, and Bruce Willis's relieved investors, might have hoped for." - Caryn James, New York Times.


John McClane is a cop from New York City who is visiting Los Angeles to see his estranged family.  He reunites with his wife, Holly, at a Christmas Eve party held on the 30th floor of the building she works in.  The party is unexpectedly interrupted by a group of terrorists who are attempting to steal $640 million in bearer bonds from the company's vault.  The group seizes the tower and secures all the civilians inside as hostages.  Everyone except John.

A SWAT team and the FBI attempt to take control of the situation but there's only one individual who can stop the terrorists; that man is John McClane.  Being the only experienced cop inside the building he takes matters into his own hands, sending the audience on one hell of a roller coaster ride.  Hold on to your seat because once the film starts; you're locked in. 





ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 94%


It's no secret that Die Hard is one of the greatest action movies of all time.  When I was younger, my parents' movie collection didn't include a lot of action movies; the only films of this sort that I watched with my dad were Speed, True Lies, and the Indiana Jones trilogy.  So whenever I saw an action movie in the TV Guide that I wanted to see, I would record it on a VHS tape so I could watch it on my own.  It just so happens Die Hard was one of them. 

I love this movie and the fact that I was able to use this as a holiday selection. The film does not completely revolve around Christmas, but it still provides the warmth, comfort, and laughs you would find in any December classic.  The only difference is there's explosions, anxiety, and fantastic one-liners provided by Mr. Willis.  Die Hard never disappoints and if you have not seen this movie, this would be the perfect time to finally absorb it. 

- Colby.  

No comments:

Post a Comment